Tuesday, March 6, 2012

What I've Learned So Far



-Marcie Gribbin

But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong. (II Corinthians 12: 9-10, NIV).

Since the beginning of this fast, the phrase “My grace is sufficient” (from II Corinthians 12: 9) has been following me around everywhere. It reigns in my thoughts morning, noon, and night. At first I didn’t understand why; I mean, of course I KNOW His grace is sufficient for me. It gives me life, breath, and keeps me going when nothing else can. But I am just beginning, I think, to realize why this phrase is besieging me. See, after I fail (or, more aptly put, FALL)—and I am made aware of my failure—I have the tendency to overdo it a bit on the “good works” end. I do this not to do “penance” or to find favor with God, because I know His grace covers all of me, and there is nothing I can do to make Him love me more than He already does. No, instead, I tend to not be able to forgive myself, so I am constantly trying to find favor with myself.  During this fast, the one thing that I am being taught (although sometimes I am not a quick-minded student) is that His power is indeed made perfect in my weakness. Instead of trying to somehow “make up” for my shortcomings, I am to lean on His grace, to boast of my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me, reign in me and through me, since I am His and He is mine.


Here are just a few other things I have learned so far this week:

1.)  Knowing that others are going through the same experience I am does indeed give encouragement to “finish the race” of fasting. Truly, this like-mindedness in our church body has blessed me more than I can say.

2.) Having a fasting buddy is the best! J You know who you are, and I am so grateful for you! Somehow you always knew just when to text me some encouragement! 

3.) I lean on caffeine and sugar (and food in general) to sustain me far too often. Nourishment from the Word and a zip of energy from praising my Savior far surpasses any energy I get from a Diet Coke.

4.) Concentrating on praying for the needs of others blesses me beyond words. I am humbled by the privilege of discovering and praying for the specific needs of my church family.

5.)  After nearly three days with no food, that communion cracker on Sunday morning was THE BEST communion cracker I have ever tasted! I savored it! And it reminded me, as Psalm 38: 8 urges, to “Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.”


I hope you will join us in our prayer vigil at church Wednesday and Thursday, and then, also, Thursday evening as we celebrate Breakthrough together with a potluck dinner and a time of worship and testimony starting at 6:00 pm! Come taste and see that the Lord is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment