Wednesday, March 7, 2012

My Heart's Desire


-Marge Montgomery 

To my many friends at FBC,

I am so proud of all of you!! When I went to church on Sunday, I was thrilled to hear all the good responses of the ones who have never fasted before but were willing to try it.  I am sure the Lord is excited about you willingness to try fasting.  I heard from one who was fasting TV time, one was fasting sweets and some were on the Daniel fast.  All of you were excited about your first attempt to please the Lord by fasting.  I can hardly wait to hear how much the Lord has done for all of you. 

I had fasted one day last week to practice but this week it was the real thing.  The first day was certainly the easiest, no problem, I can do this.  The second day was much the same until about 4 o’clock in the afternoon.  I got quite sick and decided I needed a little more food in my stomach to take care of the medicine I had taken in the morning.  I had some chicken noodle soup and two crackers.  Guess what?  The Lord was not angry with me.  He just said it is ok just keep trying, I love you!  The next day we started on the Daniel fast with the fruits and vegetables.  Oh, they tasted good.  It has been fun trying new recipes from friends such as spaghetti squash with spaghetti sauce, vegetable soup with no meat and v8 juice in between.  As you know from my last blog, I am a snacker.  God knows that too and He understands.

We are learning things about fasting that we never knew before.  One thing was when you do not eat meat you body gets cold.  Lack of protein was the problem.  The solution was some peanut butter.  We also know that almost everything has sugar in it, so you have to read labels.  The greatest thing we have learned is that we can do it!!  We have decided that fasting is going to be a regular part of our life from now on.  Why do we wait so long to be obedient?  Actually, with God we can do anything.

Remember in Daniel 10, that Daniel saw a vision of the Lord, heard His voice, fell into a deep sleep, and an angel touched him and he fell on his hands and knees.  There was no strength in him. The angel said “stand up for I have been sent to you”.  There is much more to the story but the angel said to him “do not be afraid for from the first day that you set your heart on understanding this and on humbling yourself before your God, your words were heard, and I have come in response to your words.”

I thank Him so much for the weeks of soul searching I went through before the fast.
Oh, to be a Daniel.  My heart’s desire is to please God and to follow in the path He originally set out for me!

God bless!

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, Marge. I needed that. Pray for me that I might be more obedient and willing to give up some things that I hold on to much too securely. Maybe then I might be more sensitive to the Lord's voice as I read His precious Word.

    John Gribbin

    ReplyDelete